Sunday, March 16, 2008

Good morning, Sunshine


Another space shuttle mission is underway. The mission crew along with the space station personnel are going to add the first part of a Japanese module to the station. Also being assembled on the outside of the station is Dextre. He's a Canadian robot with arms and gripper hands. He'll cut down on the amount of time a EVA takes up. (E.V.A. - Extra Vehicular Activity or a space walk.) His first arm was attached yesterday. Three of his robot friends showed up at the shuttle launch to celebrate his trip to space. Although some grumbling about the Three Laws of Robotics and equal rights were heard, the mood was cheery.


Songs that have been used to wake up the space crew:
"Linus & Lucy" -- A Charlie Brown Christmas
"Godzilla" -- Blue Oyster Cult
"Turn, Turn, Turn" -- The Byrds
"We're Going to Be Friends" -- The White Stripes



I tried to decide which song I would want to be awakened with in space, and here's what I came up with:



"Take Me Home (Country Roads)" -- Toots and the Maytals
shout out to my Jamaican and Pennsylvania roots


"Cherry Bomb" -- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
yeah, i said it!


"Heartache Tonight" -- The Eagles
I'm ret and rarin' to go!


"Return of Django" -- Lee Perry & the Upsetters
Jamaica, again! Plant the Black, Gold & Green, guhl!


"Turn Me On" -- Nina Simone
"like a lightbulb in a dark room, I'm just waitin' for you to turn me on..." how apropos, non?


Holey Moley! How could I forget?

"Pennsylvania Polka"
shout out to my home state, y'all!

6 comments:

Spinner said...

Dominic Gorie's wake-up selection today was Caedmon Call's "God of Wonders." Sounds like Gregorian chants or chamber music to me. Apparently, the music came on just as the sun hit the shuttle so it was a lovely moment.

Spinner said...

Today, the astronauts were awakened by the song, "Sharing the World." It's a ditty written and performed, I believe, by Gregory Johnson's brother. Johnson is the shuttle pilot this expedition. If only one of my half-siblings was an astronaut, I could launch my country music career.

Spinner said...

"Burning Love" by Elvis Presley was beamed up to the space station for Captain Foreman today. I can't argue with the King. Now, I'm thinking I might have Public Enemy beamed up there, "Fight the Power." I just love Terminator X's beats.

Spinner said...

"Enter, Sandman" by Metallica was the latest wake-up call. Not that I wouldn't play Lars & Co. in space, but I wouldn't want to be awakened by that. It would give me the heebeejeebies all day.

Spinner said...

"I Am Free," recorded by astronaut Mike Foreman's church choir is the wake up call this Easter.

Spinner said...

The last wake up song was "Drops of Jupiter" by Train. If you saw a picture of this crew, you'd be flummoxed. The songs sort of don't match.