Friday, December 11, 2009

Nobody Inches As Fiercely As This Turtle


Saturday, December 5, 2009 -- I moved as quickly as lightnin' molasses. Only time-capture photography could permanently document my promenade from the bottom of the Hill to the Au Bon Pain across the street. Blink, and I would be in the same damn spot. Blink, drop off some clothes at the dry cleaner, order a caramel macchiato from Starbucks, and I would be in the same damn spot. All for a hot chocolate. From Au Bon Pain. I'd actually prefer a Starbucks confection, but there is never a seat with the laptop mafia bogarting all the seats. So, I had to cross the street, and risk my life with wonky traffic lights and Boston drivers. Just to have a second-rate hot chocolate. But, molasses can't complain, cuz it's living for the city (although sluggishly).

Monday, December 7 & Tuesday, December 8, 2009 -- I had accumulated some speed. Now, I had the pace of a gasping tortoise. The first destination was the doctor's office, and the trip was trepidatious, but Miles Davis bless MGH, there are no bloody inclines. The second trip was a passionate journey of inches in the dark to the West End branch of the BPL to vote in the special primary. To summarize: my guy didn't win and that library is in desperate need of soft seating. Seriously, I didn't need three splinters in my tortoise be-hind while I sucked for air.

Friday, December 11, 2009 -- Another trip to the doctor's office, but it was an icy day with ill-mannered winds. Perhaps it was the cold, but I had a bit of giddy-up in my git-a-long. I scooted, yes, scooted, up the hill. Kiss my tortoise maximus, incline! I almost tap danced, but I couldn't release the deathgrip on the stair rail. Still, I have another gear besides 1st (tenderly inching), and 2nd (fiercely inching), and I am glad.

No comments: