Sunday, July 22, 2007

Rapunzastiltsken - How to turn plastic into yarn






  1. Lay a plastic bag down flat. Handles should be to the right. Cut off the bottom of the bag so you get rid of the seam.
  2. Tightly roll up bag like sushi.
  3. Cut up roll. Try to keep widths uniform.
  4. Unravel your sliced mini-rolls. Snip them free so they have two ends.
  5. Tie your ends together to create continuous "yarn."
  6. Spin the "yarn" around your hand to form skein.
TIPS:
  • I found the 10-J hook best for handling yarn that falls within a 1/4" - 1/2" strip. The 10.5 - K was way too big and unwieldy for me. However, I just learned how to crochet this morning.
  • For my first effort, I didn't cut off the ends of my knots when joining together my strips. It can make the going a little fussy, but it does create an interesting (yet, sloppy) effect. The second go-around, I cut off the tie-ends to see if the stitch shows up better.
  • Cut off the bottom of the bag. Otherwise, you get double-helix strips, which are too much trouble to trim.
  • After hours of no real trouble, my first stitch snapped apart. I let out a primal scream (but, silent scream: no loud audio at the marble counter), tied the snapped ends into a new knot, and moved on.
Good for crocheting spires for an invented shanty.

An article in the magazine Craft described an artist, Alexis Berger, who is using plastic bags to make purses and slippers. Her process was not clearly described, so I winged what I did. But, she definitely got my ball rolling. Links to the magazine's website and Alexis' picture gallery are below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks fo;r the crafting tips!