Monday, November 5, 2007

Albino Frog




It's cold enough now for me to stuff a knit cap on my head and wrap a scarf around my neck. The effect squashes my features and I look like an albino frog (at least in the reflections on a moving T). I debated using "frog" versus "toad." I decided on frog because I resemble a genteel and intellectual creature. Not that toads aren't intellectual but I doubt they appreciate fine porcelain. My feeble frog possesses exquisite manners and enjoys Earl Grey tea and history tomes by a warm fire most nights. His weakened constitution demands a diet of thin gruel and wilted lettuce. However, he does occasionally indulge with a bit of strawberry Kookaburra licorice. One piece keeps him occupied through 200 pages of The Complete Works of Tacitus.

No comments: