Monday, September 3, 2007

Somebody's Gonna Hurt Someone, Before The Night Is Through


The Mad Hatter's Tea Party has finally concluded. For 31 days, I restricted myself to 170 songs dedicated to ebullience and rebirth (with a super quick foray into pineapple songs and retro sambas). Now, I'm splashing in the big pool again with over 6500 songs. And, it was a delight to hear non-vocal rhythms provided by DJ Spooky, Ellington, and Mozart. I don't know how I lived without "Fireflies (November 10th)" by The Stairs, but I don't have to anymore.

Highlights from playlist:

"Feeling Good," Nina Simone (99 play counts)
"Redemption Song," Bob Marley (2 play counts)

"Just Like A Woman," Nina Simone --B.D. sounds so much better when Nina vocalizes his lyrics:
"She takes just like a woman, yes, she does
She makes love just like a woman, yes, she does
And she aches just like a woman
But she breaks just like a little girl.

"Redemption," Johnny Cash (Jesus Christ, Johnny Cash, John Coltrane: coinky-dink? discuss amongst yourselves, I've got SPAM on the stove.)

"Yegelle Tezata," Mulatu Astatke

"Cherry Bomb," Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
"Love Is All Around," Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (kick-butt cover of the Mary Tyler Moore Show theme)

"Heartache Tonight," The Eagles (when playing RISK and I can see there are no more obstacles to my world domination, I jump up, start dancing and singing this song to cruelly rub it in.)

IT'S MY WORLD, Y'ALL JUST RENT!!!!

No comments: