Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What I Did Last Weekend, part deux


Before going to the Open Studios, I listened to a presentation by one of the artists, Candy Nartonis, who would be showing there. She also had a hand in organizing it, I believe. She lives in a building of lofts dedicated to providing relatively affordable live/work space for artists. At one point, she commented that the building housed more than just visual artists. I asked if they had any poets and she affirmed they did. His name is Bei Ling. He was imprisoned in China for publishing his poetry. He told me Susan Sontag was instrumental in arranging his release from China and establishing him here in the U.S.

Candy Nartonis had encouraged us to bring $20 to Open Studios because we would be able to find something in that price range. I immediately determined that I would visit Bei Ling and he would have dibs on my $20 bill first. I wasn't disappointed. He was quite lovely to meet, and offered me green tea. Unfortunately, I only had three hours to experience the Open Studios (the options were dizzying), and couldn't stay. He graciously signed my book and I hope to attend a reading of his soon. He's involved in PEN, and I think he's a founding member of the
Independent Chinese PEN Center. They are Chinese writers in exile and in China concerned "with the rights of Chinese language writers throughout the world."

I haven't had much time to munch on his book, but what I have sampled is quite good. His poems are printed in Chinese next to the English translations. Try and find a copy of his book (inquire at an independent bookstore that's dedicated to international literature or poetry OR ask for it at your library--although they might not have it in their collection, they probably can acquire it for you through interlibrary loan.).
For more information about PEN, click here.

Book Info:
Bei Ling, Selected Poems (1980 - 1995), ISBN # 957-28408-3-5


No comments: