Monday, September 17, 2007

What I Did Last Weekend


"After 'Self-Portrait'" - Jeremy Paten

I went to the South End Open Studios and I had a glorious time. Pine Street Inn, which is an organization that serves the needs of Boston's homeless, had artwork on display, too. There was some exciting work to be seen, but unfortunately, the art wasn't displayed very well. They have a lot to exhibit, but no space or outlet for exhibition. I instantly thought of Whole Foods, which hangs community art in its stores...at least, my store does. Can anyone think of other outlets where art like that could be hung or used?

I remember the YA/YA organization in New Orleans. They were very involved in getting young artists (school age, K-12) and their work to be taken seriously--creating art, framing it, exhibiting the work, attending opening receptions, and selling their art. Remember: I was manager of Children's Hour, where we sold children's art off our walls. (The image in this post is part of a large picture (too huge for my dinky scanner) drawn by Jeremy Paten; Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists, and after staring at it for two days on the gallery walls, I gave in and bought it.)

I didn't have my camera with me on Open Studios day (I have temporarily misplaced the battery charger...yikes!) but there were two outstanding sculptures and striking two-dimensional art to be seen at the Pine Street Inn.

I met a lot of amazing people during the Open Studios (more posts to follow) but I'm so excited about a possible opportunity to work with Pine Street Inn and integrate communities that might think they're distinct but use the arts to knit them together (or show them that they are more linked then each supposed).

4 comments:

Jeremy, The New Orleanean' said...

Lol I'm glad that this picture still exist. Honestly I had forgot that I did this. If you are wondering who I am, I am Jeremy, the one that created that piece. I was in the second grade when I did that. I recently obtained a blogger for school, so I will have some of my latest stuff on there pretty soon. http://uk11us12.blogspot.com/
Feel free to keep in touch. Just seeing that picture, had made my day.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS JEREMY, I AM PROUD OF YOU.
AUNTI MARILYN

mike said...

CONGRAT COUSIN WE ALL OR PROUD OF YOU. LOVE YA,WHITNEY & FAMILY

Anonymous said...

I wish hurricane Katrina had not destroyed my collection of your earlier works.The world should have had the opportunity to see how naturally talented you were at a young age without any formal training or art classes. I especially remember" The Dancing Saxophone".It was your creation depicting Dom(age 3 at the time)playing his toy saxophone,amusing the family.
I'm very proud of you. Auntie Septa.